Based in Grand Rapids, MI
May 11, 2006
Press / Business contact:
PO Box 68130
Grand Rapids, MI 49516
Please email first!
Reborn in 2014, Finji was originally founded by Adam and Rebekah Saltsman in 2006. Our mission is to make new games and create new opportunities. Finji's internal development teams build original games for mobile, desktop and console, in addition to 'publishing' games by other independent developers. We are based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, but collaborate with talented individuals from all over the place. We are passionate game makers who sometimes work odd hours, but we practice inclusive team policies that support good quality of life (no crunch), and provide significant revenue shares for all team members.
HistoryLast Chance Media
Our work as independent game developers began in early 2006, under the mantle "Last Chance Media". We worked as freelancers on projects like MS Flight Simulator X, Warstorm, and Dr. Dobbs Challenge. Sometimes we produced art, sometimes code, sometimes game designs, and sometimes all of the above, depending on the project. In 2008 we released a small but relatively popular Flash game called Gravity Hook, and an iOS game called Wurdle.Semi Secret Software
In early 2009 we spun off a second company called Semi Secret Software, which was focused on the newly open iTunes App Store. From 2009 - 2013 we released six iOS games, including the influential endless runner Canabalt, and the stylish and restrained iPad puzzle game Hundreds, a collaboration with two-time Apple Design Award-winner Greg Wohlwend and electronic musician Loscil. Adam also built and released the popular Flash game library Flixel. Last Chance was still open for contract work between Semi Secret projects, and we designed and produced games like The Hunger Games: Girl on Fire for Lionsgate, Dikembe Mutombo's 4 1/2 Weeks to Save the World for W+K, and built the first-ever Steam film players for Indie Game: The Movie and Valve's own documentary Free To Play. We also contributed to games like FEZ and Cave Story+. It was a busy few years.Finji
In 2014 we merged the two companies: Last Chance Media acquired Semi Secret Software, and we were able to bring all of our projects under one roof. We call that roof Finji. More importantly, we were able to start up brand new projects like Overland, as well as partner with the developers of Night in the Woods and Panoramical to help bring their games to market. We are very proud of our first batch of projects, and looking forward to announcing even more sometime soon.Staying Busy
In addition to her duties at Finji, Rebekah Saltsman works closely with game studios Tiger Style and Polytron. Adam Saltsman helps organize GDC, Fantastic Arcade, and Juegos Rancheros, and serves as an advisor to Femicom Museum and the NYU Game Center Incubator. Finji also actively supports diversity in games through Patreon, Dames Making Games, Havencon, and other activities.
Indie Game the Movie: Canabalt Vimeo
Finji @ Zoo Machines YouTube
Finji @ NYU Game Center Vimeo
Make a Game in a Day YouTube
There are far more images available for Finji, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Adam Saltsman: GI 30" - Gaming Insiders, 2014
- "Official Selection, XOXO" - Portland, OR - 2014
- "Official Selection, Fantastic Arcade" - Austin, TX - 2013
- "Intel Level Up - Art Design" - Seattle WA, August 18, 2016
- "PC Gamer - E3 - Best of Show Honorable Mention" - Los Angeles CA, 16 June, 2016
- "Judges' Week - Indie Night" - Los Angeles CA, 15 May, 2016
- "Day of the Devs - Official Selection" - San Franisco CA, 7 November, 2015
- "IndieCade - Official Selection" - Culver City CA, 22 October, 2015
- "XOXO - Official Selection" - Portland OR, 10 September, 2015
- "Mild Rumpus - Official Selection" - San Francisco CA, 2 March, 2015
- "Inducted into the permanent collection at the MoMA." - Museum of Modern Art, March 2, 2013
- "Nominee, Best Web Game" - The Webby Awards, 2010
- "Best Flash Port" - Mochi Awards, San Francisco, March 2010
- "Nominee, Game of the Year 2009" - Newgrounds, 2009
- "Best Productivity Killer" - Best App Ever Awards, December 2009
- "Honorable Mention, Achievement in Visual Art" - Independent Games Festival, March 2013
- "Honorable Mention, Best Mobile Game" - Independent Games Festival, March 2012
- "Honorable Mention, Nuovo (innovation)" - Independent Games Festival, March 2012
- "Official Selection" - IndieCade, October 4, 2012
- "The Lobby feat. Finji + Jim Crawford"
- Danny O'Dwyer, GameSpot
- "Game Publishers and Developers Need More Diversity: Interview with Finji."
- Muaz Zekeria, Twinfinite
- "Canabalt dev announces new collaborative studio, Finji."
- Samit Sarkar, Polygon
- "Game development is better with friends at Finji."
- Jessica Conditt, Joystiq
- "Canabalt developer opens new indie studio Finji."
- Craig Chapple, Develop
Breaking Into Games
A beginner's guide to making video games - helpful for relatives young + old curious about your career! medium.com.