Based in Grand Rapids, MI
April 19 2016 (First Access)
|USD||$20 (First Access)|
Make the most of a terrible situation. See things no one was meant to see. Survive - barely.
Overland is squad-based survival strategy game with procedurally generated levels set in post-apocalyptic North America. Every random level is full of close calls and hard choices, even though the interface is approachable and easy to learn. Manage fuel supplies, weapons, and other items by making the right choices on the procedural roadmaps. Overland is a road trip straight into the heart of the cataclysmic event that changed the Earth forever.
In Overland, players guide an evolving cast of survivors on a road trip through a ruined continent. To survive the trip, players scavenge for fuel, weapons, and other supplies to help them keep moving and protect themselves from the strange, sound-sensitive creatures roaming the remains of North America.
Encounters in Overland are randomly generated. No two situations are ever the same. Players need to keep an eye out for dangerous surprises, unexpected outcomes, and hidden rewards. Should you save up fuel for that long detour up ahead? You can find solid upgrades there, but stockpiling gasoline is a risky maneuver. What do you do when there's only one seat left in the vehicle? Do you take a healthy passenger with no particularly useful profession? Or do you try to save the wounded specialist?
What started as an off-hand comment on twitter in late 2013 became a full-time job for 4 people in 2014, and Finji's main project in 2015. Developed largely behind closed doors at that time, Overland made its publicly playable debut at the GDC Mild Rumpus on March 4, 2015, and has since appeared at the XOXO Festival, IndieCade, PAX, E3, and other events.
The Overland First Access program started in April 2016 as a new way of running an alpha. Three rounds of alpha keys were made available for public sale in April (500 keys), May (500), and June (1000). The longest any key was available was about 72 hours. This stage of the First Access program was a huge help for Overland and had a dramatic impact on what we worked on and why. Huge thanks to alt-games storefront itch.io for making it possible!
Overland First Access opened up with unlimited keys on August 30 2016. We are currently planning on completing Overland sometime in 2017.
- Squad-based tactical survival gameplay.
- Randomly generated encounters.
- Stunning art direction.
- Intuitive controls.
- Emergent narrative.
First Access E3 Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Intel Level Up - Art Design" Seattle WA, August 18, 2016
- "PC Gamer - E3 - Best of Show Honorable Mention" Los Angeles CA, 16 June, 2016
- "Judges' Week - Indie Night" Los Angeles CA, 15 May, 2016
- "Day of the Devs - Official Selection" San Franisco CA, 7 November, 2015
- "IndieCade - Official Selection" Culver City CA, 22 October, 2015
- "XOXO - Official Selection" Portland OR, 10 September, 2015
- "Mild Rumpus - Official Selection" San Francisco CA, 2 March, 2015
- "39 Games to Keep on Your Radar in 2017"
- Editor, ign.com
- "The 12 Indie Games to look out for in 2017"
- Kate Gray, techradar.com
- "Overland confirmado para 2017"
- Juanma, niveloculto.com
- "Overland and Night in the Woods get new trailers, confirmed for 2017"
- Chris Priestman, killscreendaily.com
- "The spectacular failures, the buzzer-beating saves, and the lovable pups have all captured my heart and given me more hours of playtime than I had anticipated."
- Lauren, comradecupcake.com
- "What that does to the game is make every risk-reward decision incredibly important."
- Adam Smith, rockpapershotgun.com
- "The dogs, as it happens, are also susceptible to death."
- Staff Writer, killscreendaily.com
- "Overland's been generating plenty of buzz for a while now, and for good reason"
- Kris Ligman, zam.com
- "Each stop puts you on a teensy scrap of land to scavenge for supplies, maybe pick up a new survivor, and try not to get eaten."
- Alice O'connor, rockpapershotgun.com
- "...it's a darn-cool game. There are dogs and, as of tomorrow's update, they'll be able to wear backpacks."
- Jordan Devore, destructoid.com
- "Hit the road, make the tough calls, try to stay alive, and probably fail."
- Andy Chalk, pcgamer.com
- "Wir zählen zu den glücklichen Tausend, die sich schon jetzt auf eine Reise quer durch die USA begeben konnten. Das sind unsere Geschichten."
- Daniel Ziegener, superlevel.de
- "Como en Canabalt, el revolucionario juego que catapultó a los Saltsman a la fama internacional, los pormenores del fin de los tiempos no interesan tanto como la manera en que se cruza con la intrahistoria..."
- Chiconuclear, anaitgames.com
- "...there’s just something about it that scratches an itch you didn’t even realize you had."
- Staff, zam.com
- "The Best Games At The E3 2016 PC Gaming Show"
- Steven Asarch, idigitaltimes.com
- "At its core, Overland is a desperate game of risk management and limited resources."
- Zach Welhouse, rpgamer.com
- "It's these choices, and the consequences you carry with you to the West Coast, that fuel Overland's intense momentum."
- Editor, gamespot.com
- "Honorable Mention - Best of E3 2016"
- Staff, pcgamer.com
- "While the earthy tones and board-game scale of the world are lovely to look at, Overland pushes players to move quickly to avoid fights and save supplies."
- Daniel Fries, killscreendaily.com
- "Overland's quick brushstroke characterization is intensely effective."
- Kris Ligman, zam.com
- "...here’s a trio of games from independent developers you should look forward to."
- Brendan Caldwell, rockpapershotgun.com
- "...procedurally generates your trek across the country as you try to sruvive. Think XCOM, but on a road trip."
- Patrick Hancock, destructoid.com
- "Now you have a new chance to discover why we're obsessed."
- Philip Kollar, polygon.com
- "Visiting the PC Gaming Show at E3 2016, artist Heather Penn showed off a new trailer for Finji's survival strategy Overland."
- Christopher Livingston, pcgamer.com
- "5 Best Games At E3"
- Staff, pastemagazine.com
- "Everything takes an action, everything involves some small measure of sacrifice, and thus everything is stressful: and it works so well."
- Alec Meer, rockpapershotgun.com
- "...probably my favorite thing I saw at GDC."
- Timothy Clark, pcgamer.com
- "...we weren't sure what to expect out of it. As it turns out, we should have been expecting something awesome."
- Philip Kollar, polygon.com
- "Exclusive First Look at Overland"
- Danny Dwyer, gamespot.com
- "This sounds like a very good time."
- Luke Plunkett, kotaku.com
- "It's a story about people, not superheroes."
- Jessica Conditt, joystiq.com
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Finji allows for the contents of Overland to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Overland is legally & explicitly allowed by Finji. This permission can be found in writing at http://finji.co/about/sheet.php?p=overland.
Inspirations and Influences
Some of the movies, games, books, and paintings that inspired Overland: blog.finji.co.
Announcing Overland's Audio Lead
Preview some of Jocelyn's haunting audio here: blog.finji.co.
Reborn in 2014, Finji was originally founded by Adam and Rebekah Saltsman in 2006. Our mission is to make new games and create new opportunities. Finji's internal development teams build original games for mobile, desktop and console, in addition to 'publishing' games by other independent developers. We are based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, but collaborate with talented individuals from all over the place. We are passionate game makers who sometimes work odd hours, but we practice inclusive team policies that support good quality of life (no crunch), and provide significant revenue shares for all team members.
More information on Finji, our logo & relevant media are available here.
PR + Marketing
Aisha Burns & Montgomery Brown
Guitar, Violin, and Vocals (Theme)
Leaf Corcoran & Amos Wenger
Rami Ismail & Jan Willem Nijman